Try this popular Beef recipe at home and enjoy the delicious flavours, Karibu!
Spice Rub Beef Fillet with Mushroom Compote
- 250 gm Beef Fillet Whole
- Salt to Taste
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1 Tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 Tsp Spanish Paprika
- 1 Tsp Crushed Fennel Seeds
- Corn Oil
- 100 gm Sliced Mushroom
- 20 gm Chopped Onions
- 10 gm Chopped Garlic
- 20 gm Butter
- Salt to Taste
- Crushed Black Pepper
- 20 ml Red Wine
- 20 ml Fresh Cream
- 100 gm Assorted Herbs (Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano)
- 50 gm Butter
- 30 gm Sugar
- 50 ml Red Wine
- 150 ml Beef Stock
- 10 ml Dark Soy Sauce
- Mix all dry spices. Season the beef fillet with salt and generously rub the spice misfire over the beef and leave for 30 minutes.
- Heat a cast iron skillet or non-stick pan. Pour in about 20 ml of corn oil and sear the beef fillet till brown on all sides.
- Put in a tray and finish in a preheated oven at 220 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and leave to rest for 15 minutes.
- Sautéing the onion and garlic in butter till soft and translucent
- Add in the mushrooms and cook till light brown
- Add in the wine and cook till almost evaporated
- Add the cream
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Caramelize the sugar in a hot pan
- Add the herbs.
- Deglaze the pan with red wine
- Add the beef stock and bring to boil and reduce by half
- Add the dark soy sauce.
- Season accordingly and remove from the heat
- Slowly add in the butter a teaspoon at a time while whisking continuously.
- Cut the beef into medallions, serve over mashed potatoes and top with the mushroom compote.
- Serve with the sauce.
- Garnish with sautéed onion rings.
Recipe by: Freelance Chef, Chef Ali Jamal