Are you looking for a light snack that is easy to make? The Habanero Sweet Chili wings is what you need because of all the wholesome flavors it has. You want to build layers and layers of flavors with that sweet and spicy taste.
Prep Time: 10 Minutes Cook
Time: 45 Minutes Total
Time: 55 Minutes
- 1kg chicken wings
- 4 tablespoons Habanero Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 1 teaspoon of light soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 2 stalks lemon grass
- Half a cup of lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
• Start by cleaning your chicken wings you can do so in a mix of water and vinegar or just plain water. Once that is done set them aside as you prepare your marinade.
• Mince the ginger and garlic with your pestle and mortar. Throw in the lemon grass to heighten the flavors.
• Transfer the paste to a bowl. Mix it with one teaspoon of the light soy sauce and the lime juice. Put in the salt and pepper at this point.
• Take your chicken and put it in the bowl with the marinade ingredients. Mix well to ensure that it soaks in all the flavors.
• Cover the bowl and let it marinate in the refrigerator. If you do your prep the night before it can stay for 24 hours but if you want to cook it the same day let it marinate for around 30 minutes.
• As your chicken wings are soaking in the marinade, preheat your oven to 200 degrees celsius.
• Place your marinated chicken wings on your baking rack and let it bake for 40 minutes and flipping the wings halfway.
• Once the wings are ready toss them in the habanero sweet chilli sauce. You can serve them as they are or after tossing them in the sauce you can put them back in the oven for an extra five minutes. The extra five minutes in the oven ensure that your wings are caramelized.
• Serve with a side of your choice & garnish with sesame seeds.
FOR THE HABANERO SAUCE
1. 200 grams habanero chilli peppers
2. 5 Garlic cloves
3. 1 teaspoon ginger paste
4. 500ml honey
5. 1/4 cup rice vinegar
6. 1/2 teaspoon salt
7. Half a cup of lime juice
- You can wear gloves for this process. Core and de-seed the habaneros. This will ensure that you get the right amount of spicy for your sauce.
- Add your chopped habanero chilli peppers, garlic, ginger and the rice vinegar in a blend. Blend until you get a smooth and consistent liquid. Note you can also use the immersion blender for this process.
- Use a sieve to strain the liquid into a pan. Add the honey and lime at this point. Boil the liquid for around 15 minutes to thicken the sauce.
- Store the sauce in an airtight container and it can be stored for up to four months in a refrigerator. The longer the sauce stays the richer the flavors become.